Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Life...

can be taken away in an instant.


So the last few weeks have been very eventful, and not all in a good way. We drove out to Austin in 2 days and had no problems on the way out. It was a pretty pleasant drive, just 2 very long days on the road. It was a great wedding and a very busy weekend. On the trip back home we ran into some trouble. We ended up running into the tail end of a blizzard that was making it's way across the country. The first day on the road we didn't get as far as I wanted to because I had to pull of the road because the weather had become too bad and ice and snow had begun sticking to the roads. So I pulled off at the first hotel we came to in order to get everyone settled and to get us off the road. The next morning we woke up and I checked out of the hotel. It had snowed, a LOT more. I drove up one exit to just test how the roads were and to get some breakfast and fill the car up with gas. The roads were pretty good as long as you took it slow, which I was. Driving during the winter in Abilene has taught me the slower you go the better. So I got back on the road behind a NMDOT truck. We were going slow and had no problems at all. Then out of no where I was hit around the driver side rear tire and started fishtailing. I had no idea what had happened. When I finally realized that the curtain airbags had deployed and that we had been hit I just lost it. I couldn't help it. Another car that was going to fast hit ice and started sliding and hit me. The first thing on my mind was to turn around and look at my kids. They were both a little shaken up, but we were all still breathing and fine for the most part. Thomas walked away with a mark across his neck from his seat belt and I walked away with a numb left ear that didn't stop ringing for almost a week due to the airbag deploying right in my ear.Abby was perfectly fine, except she did not like the ride to the hospital in her car seat strapped to the gurney. Long story short, we ended up flying home the next day after spending the night with a friend of my uncle's. All I can say is that him and his wife truly are a blessing and some great people. So after getting home and waiting a week to hear from the insurance company, all the while driving my husband's car that is a stick shift, I found out that my car had been deemed a total loss. :-( So now I no longer have my cute little Mazda 5. After going back and forth on what type of car to get (i knew i wanted a big car, possibly a full size suv) I finally ended up with a 2010 GMC Terrain. I wanted to put as much car between my family and stupid drivers on the road.
Thank God that my husbands deployment is coming to an end very soon and that our family will be back together again. A lot has happened since the time he left. From all of us being sick, to stiches in my thumb to a car accident, I am ready to get my family back together and for life to get back to some sort of normal. I am wanting to drive out to Florida and see my family, but part of me is scared to get back on the road again.

I hope everyone is doing better than I was these last few week. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment